Wedding Countdown Ticker

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Rough Weekend.

Alright. So I know I've been TERRIBLE at this whole blogging thing lately, but it's been a rough couple of days. Valentine's day, I ended up worrying about my guinea pig all day long. By the time nighttime came, he was on the brink of death. Needless to say, I spent Valentine's day night, in bed with my guinea pig. Didn't sleep at all. He laid by my side struggling for breath. I got up every 2 hours to syringe feed him food and water.

For those who don't know, he got an upper respiratory infection, and got put on antibiotics. Well, they worked for a little bit, but he all of a sudden got way worse. By Sunday, he was struggling for his life. The vet wasn't open on Sunday, but the Emergency Vet was. I wasn't about to take him there, unless it was to put him down. 10PM rolls around, and I'm making the decision to put him down. The first time, I wrapped him up and picked him up to take him, and he perked up. I decided to give it time. Then later, I couldn't handle it anymore. Picked him up to take him again, and just as I reached for the doorknob, he squeaked...So yeah. That kinda broke me. I decided to see if he could make it through the night, and I'd take him into our vet the next morning right as they opened. Hence the not sleeping. I pet him, held him, rocked him all night long. What guinea pig gets to sleep in a bed all night long? Rico does.

Morning came. I took him in, and basically, in their own words, they said they couldn't do much. I looked at him, and couldn't see him breath like that anymore. He was tired, struggling, and in pain. I didn't want to let him go, but it wasn't fair to leave him like that anymore. I made the hardest decision of my life, literally. I signed the worst piece of paper I have ever signed. I handed him over to the vet, and knew they next time I held him in my arms, he would be in a box. I know people may think "It's a guinea pig." But seriously. No matter WHAT it is, it's a pet. You gain a relationship with any animal, no matter what it is. 4 months ago, it wouldn't have tore me up. I wouldn't have bawled for hours. I wouldn't cry now thinking about him. He was just a guinea pig months ago. But since I've been home, I gained the strongest bond with him. Having him laying in my bed next to me made me realize how much I loved him. How much I cared about him. How much I wanted to do all I could for him. He WAS my baby. Always will be.

I love you Rico. I'm sorry I couldn't do more then I did. You will always be my baby.


1 comment:

  1. aww aj i love you. you are a special person for being so great with animals. i heart you.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me insight. I love to hear your thoughts. Be nice, or don't be. But be aware I will defend myself :] Have fun!